Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Website review: Find My Past

I am a firm believer in spending as little money as possible to find the information you need to expand your family history. I don't like to be forced to pay a monthly fee to get that information. Having said that, if you don't want to chase down your English roots the way I did by actually going to the source in England, Find My Past is a great option. 

I do not have a subscription at the moment but after doing a few quick searches on their site I felt as if it would be a very good idea to have one. I searched for a couple of ancestors who are dead ends for me in England and got results that I could tell by the limited information given to me, would be helpful. To actually see the documents I would need to pay or work really hard during the 14 day trial period. 

If you have ancestors in England or Ireland, it is worth your while to at least take a look and do a free search to see if they have records that would be of help. You can find parish records, census, newspaper and more. Some of the records they have are exclusive to them which is what makes Find My Past so appealing. 

The search results will make you want to buy a subscription. For $14.95 a month or $129 a year you can have access to the basic information that they have, parish records, census, and emigration records. If you want more, such as newspapers, military, wills and institutional records you will need to go for the Ultimate subscription which costs $19.95 a month or $179 a year.  Only you know which makes more sense to you but I think it is certainly worth at least a one-month membership to see if you can find some of the information you are looking for. 

I used Find My Past myself for free searching and was able to see a lot of excellent information and if you are willing to accept just the year and not see the original documents, you can get plenty of free info. 

No comments:

Post a Comment