Monday, August 31, 2015

When DNA Surprises You

This is going to be a personal post that may just resonate with others who have had a DNA test or are considering it.

I had my Mito DNA done about 7 years ago. It showed that I am a C1 which is Native American. This was interesting from a genealogy perspective since it proved that my ancestress Francoise Olivier was at least partially Native American. 

What I wasn't prepared to feel was the loss of my European ethnicity. I know I am 99% European and yet my Mito said I was a Native American. It was emotionally disturbing. It made me question what I think I know about myself. 

I got over it but now I have had Autosomal DNA done and I am making connections with others who share DNA with me. My Irish ancestors that I know are from Kerry and Laois, this is proven. However, so far I have connected with two people at 4th cousin who are from Cavan. I have to try to figure out which of my ancestors could possibly have been from Cavan. 

What is really amazing is that I am going to Cavan in September and we are spending our 4th night in the town of Virginia Cavan where one of the people I am connected with has her roots. How strange is that? 

I am now thinking that it most likely must be Johanna O'Connor who is from Cavan. I think I will have to look for more connection who match me on the O'Connor line and see if I find more Cavan ancestors. Since two of my good friends have Cavan roots I am not unhappy to perhaps be a Cavan girl. 

What I am trying to tell you is be open to hearing what your DNA is going to tell you It may not be what you want to hear but as far as I know, DNA doesn't lie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment