Thursday, April 2, 2015

Dispelling myths about Irish genealogy

I have to admit that I am now a Joe Buggy groupie! I attended all four of his lectures at the genealogy conference in Virginia and I will share some of the things that learned from him in later posts but for this posts I think everyone needs to realize that there are some myths out there that may be hampering your research. These myths were dispelled by Joe. 

All the records were destroyed


This is not true. While the explosion at Four Courts was very unfortunate, it did not destroy all records.  I have to admit that when I saw what was included on the 1841 census, I could have cried because it would have been such an amazing resource for all of us but there is no point in dwelling on it. 

We lost the O when my ancestors took the soup



This is not true, many names were Anglicized over the years beginning as early as the 1600s when Protestants led by Cromwell devastated the population and enforced Penal Laws. 

They changed the spelling of our name at Ellis Island


This is another fallacy. I can show that the spelling of my own ancestor Geoffrey Donoghoe is spelled differently on several of the baptisms of his children in Ireland. Since it became Donahue in our particular family and no ancestor came through Ellis Island, I guess that dispels that!!

Keep in mind that many of our ancestors didn't read and write and would not have known how to spell their name. Whoever wrote it down, would have spelled it the way it sounded to them with a distinctive Irish accent. 

When it comes to the records that exist, Parish Records, Tithe Applotment and Griffith Valuation are the most readily available and offer a place to begin. 

I hope this gives you just a little more hope that Irish genealogy while difficult, is not impossible.

11 comments:

  1. My 4xgreat-grandfather changed his religion to R.C. about 1770. Now, I cannot find any record of his parents (who would have been C.of I.) What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another issue I've found is that a lot of the time they used variations of their given names. For instance one aunt was born as Sarah but was called Sadie, Ellen was Helen, etc.. I've noticed this a lot. Also, the same given names were used in every generation. The name Robert has been used in every generation in my mom's family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have the same thing, Johannas can be know as Anna or Hannah. I have even found a new one, when I was just in Ireland I saw almost all the Julias in the baptism books as Judith including my own ancestress. My Sarahs used Sally. I think you just need to write down all nicknames you find and keep them for future reference.

      Delete
  3. That is a tough one because so few records survive as far back as that. Do you know county of origin? My first thought would be to look at his children. Many Irish use the naming pattern which is eldest son after father's father and second daughter after father's mother. Another option these days is DNA, I know that is a long shot but it has helped me with finding the possible county of origin on Gedmatch. It is also important to know if records would be in Dublin or Belfast. Some of the northern counties of the Republic have records at Proni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my 4xtimes great-grandfather came from Meath, His name was William Webb. Down to the present the names William and George are there. There were another well known family in Dunshaughlin at the same time with name Webb and also C.of I. I have long thought there is an connection between Noah Webb and William Webb but I cannot find it. William is my grandfather who became Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then good news, Meath is in Leinster and there are some records in Belfast. The problem with C o I records is that they don't give godparents on Baptisms which makes making family connections difficult but DNA might very well give you the connection between William and Noah. Looking at old wills might help. I wish you good luck, sometimes we just need luck with Irish genealogy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much

      Delete
  5. My 2X Great Grandfather, James A. Gillmore, stated that his fathers Grandfathers surname was originally Gilmer. Problem is, how to verify the information as my 2X Grand Grandfather died in Michigan, USA in 1897. He was a Baptist Minister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pronunciation is a funny thing. My father pronounced our name Dunnawho now is that perhaps the Irish way, maybe. I can actually see Gilmer becoming Gilmore. Ok you need to get a copy of his death certificate. I assume you have checked all the relevant US census'? How far off the boat was he? Was he a recent immigrant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for your comments. Will follow up your leads. Geraldine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know how it turn out, I really enjoy other people genealogies almost as much as my own.

      Delete