Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Starting your journey

If you are a new genealogist or if it has been a while since you worked on your family tree, you may feel a little lost. It can seem like you have an insurmountable task before you. Relax, let me give you a hand and get you started on what will be one of the most amazing journeys of your life, discovering who you are. 

Basic tools:

  • Steno pad
  • Pencils
  • Loose leaf notebook filled with clear plastic sheets
  • Plenty of change
  • Any type of recording device

You are going to be taking lots of notes. You can use any kind of a pad but I like a steno pad. Pencils are preferred in many libraries, I always use automatic ones. The loose leaf note book is where you are going to store any certificates or copies that you make. The change you will need to pay for copies etc. depending on where you are working. 

You will use the recording device when you interview family members. It is not absolutely required but this way if you don't write every word you can go back and listen to the interview again. 

Having a computer and a genealogy program are also helpful but not absolutely required. I will give a review later of the program that I use Brothers Keeper

When I am off to visit a site, I carry a soft bag with all my material in it. These days I have pretty ones from Thirty-One but over the years the free ones that book clubs and magazines send when you join were the ones I used. Most importantly is keep all your things together, it just makes life much easier.


Gather together everything you need to begin your journey and join me back here and I will take you on the next step. 


No comments:

Post a Comment